As some of you know, this project has been on my heart for quite some time now. Since suffering a severe and debilitating depression after the birth of my daughter 4 years ago, I have dreamed of finding a way to help others who are struggling.
Given my background and degree in Recreation Therapy, I know how truly integral meaningful leisure is in mental health recovery. After learning how to use painting and art in my own journey, I am now thrilled to have the opportunity to offer my knowledge, time, and space, to other women who may really need something like this in their lives.
This first round of classes is a pilot project to gauge response and effectiveness of the group.
The group will begin in JANUARY 2015 and run for a total of 4 sessions (4 Monday evenings)
There is NO COST to participants - all supplies, etc will be donated by myself or other local businesses.
Classes will give women an opportunity to share with each other, but also inspire a new hobby that will allow them to create a beautiful living space. Each class with have a different focus and project.
Space is limited to 6 participants. Although I would LOVE to have everybody join, it just won't be feasible :(
Participants will be selected based on need and suitability for the group. Additional registrants that qualify will be put on a wait list automatically for the following round of classes once they become available.
If you would like to submit your registration you must meet the following:
- Be over the age of 21
- Have one or more child(ren)
- Have a diagnosed mood disorder (bi-polar, depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc)
- Be able to attend all 4 classes in the sessions
Registrants should send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- The mood disorder you have been diagnosed with and if you are currently taking any medication (you do not need to specify what kind of medication)
- Your family situation (married, separated, etc) and how many children you have
- Why you think this group would benefit you
- Please finish the following sentence "What people don't understand about mental health is ________"
- Any other information you think may be helpful in getting to know you!
All emails will be read and reviewed by myself and my assistant to determine suitability. Information will NOT be shared with anyone else. Your privacy is important!
Group will be selected and participants notified in early November.
Thank you everyone for your support, I can't wait to get started!